Saturday, July 16, 2005

It's All About How You Leave Me

Lately, I have been paying careful attention to the craft of ending a poem. I have found that the most obvious way to end the poem is almost always the worst way to end the poem. This is quite possibly true of fiction and non-fiction as well.

I believe good poems haunt us. It is when we are eating barbecue at a cookout, watching a French film for the third time, or changing a bathroom light bulb that it creeps back in, not allowing us to focus on our task at hand. I guess I just want to be left wondering, and, for me, that is what good poetry does. Don't say "goodbye" when leaving--it's done already. Do something amazing. Surprise me.

1 Comments:

Blogger girlzoot said...

What kind of an example of a good poem haunting could you give?

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home