Monday, August 08, 2005

Writers Conference at Penn

The Writers Conference at Penn during the first weekend of October looks like it has a lot of promising seminars. I'm interested in the class taught by Sam Lipsyte, "To Begin, to Begin." Although the class coincides nicely with our last editorial in JMWW about story beginnings, I mainly want to take a class with him because he sounds brilliant. Sam is interviewed in the latest issue of Failbetter. You also check out his interview with Suicide Girls. Unforunately, Sam's books are at the bottom of a long list I've been working my way through (no one gets a bump up, even the hottest authors), but I'll have to break my own rules and bump him up if I do indeed sign up for his class.

Has anyone ever attended a writer's conference? Are there any good tips on what to take and/or what to do?

1 Comments:

Blogger Hebdomeros said...

I've been to two different ones. One was a small conference in Cleveland, another a big-name conference down south.

The one in Cleveland was more fun for me. A lot of that, though, probably came from a large mix of talent and styles in the workshops and instructors.

The one down south, the work was higher quality but all very similar. I felt like the token non-realist at the conference, and often felt a little out of place. I might have left if my advisor hadn't been so open-minded and helpful. So I guess I'm saying look for the conferences that have at least a few writers you like and admire.

As far as what to do...do as much as you can while there. Go to classes, go to readings, go to lectures, do whatever outside work you might get. Meet the big name writers, talk to them, get their advice. I saw several people, particularly at the conference down south, there solely to hook up and schmooze and it seemed like a waste of time and money. If you go to work and learn you'll get a lot out of it.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home